Hi! I’m Julie York, County Extension Agent – Family & Community Health in Upshur County, Texas. Please contact me for educational support on any topic affecting your family such as: health & wellness, family life/relationships, parenting, financial education, food & nutrition, emergency preparedness, general safety or the Texas Rural Leadership Program.
Please call 903.680.8128 or email me directly at Julie.York@ag.tamu.edu. Thank you!
Here are a few links to help connect you with resources to support your family’s needs. Would another topic help you? Let me know!
The Texas Extension Education Association in Upshur County supports the community in many ways, both physically and financially. They raise funds twice a year during a Chili Luncheon in January and a Bean Luncheon in July where they serve about 400 meals to support all of the needs in the county, as well as 4-H scholarships. They also manage two contests during the East Texas Yamboree.
- Better Living for Texans Nutrition, Food Safety and Active Living programming
- Be Well Live Well (Senior Citizens), A Fresh Start to a Healthier You (adults), Color Me Healthy (preschool)
- Growing and Nourishing Healthy Communities – contact me if your organization would like to participate in this educational series which aims to increase the availability of healthy foods, specifically fresh produce, through the use of community gardens.
- Health Talk Express Series – ask me for more info on these 45 min. sessions
- Health – Walk Across Texas is just one program designed to increase a person’s quality of life.
Child Care Provider Training:
I can provide face-to-face training, which is part of the 20% required to keep a state license.
Online courses are available at https://childcare.tamu.edu/
- The Texas Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN)
- Food Protection Management or Food Handlers courses taught Face-to-Face in Gilmer
- Water Conservation – click to participate in an interactive checklist for your home!
- Family Resource Management (Finance)
- Community Development
- Texas Rural Leadership Program – building leaders
Nutrition & Health: for a list of available programs, visit https://fch.tamu.edu/programs/
- Blueberries and Cancer Prevention (informative article)
- Canning and Cooking Courses available – contact me for upcoming programs
- Dinner Tonight – too many healthy recipes to count!
- Food Preservation – Canning, Freezing, Drying, Smoking, Food Safety, etc
- Walk Across Texas